Thank you to everyone who came out and attended our CEC calendar meeting. Thank you in particular to our special guests Chancellor Carmen Fariña and Fred Wilson, Chair of CSNYC.
To follow-up on Fred’s talk about expanding coding education and computer science in schools, here are some upcoming events for teachers, principals and parents to check out:
- This Saturday, October 25. CSNYC Creative Computing w/ Scratch – An Introductory Workshop
“Unlike the Scratch Meetups, this workshop is more structured and will include an overview of the Guide, hands-on activities with Scratch, and discussion of ideas and strategies. This is strongly recommended for any educator who wants a more in-depth introduction to Scratch; you will be able to walk away with tangible sample projects, lesson plans, etc.”
- This Sunday, October 26. CSNYC Special NYC Scratch Educator Meetup with Special Guest Mitch Resnick of the MIT Media Lab
“Mitch Resnick, LEGO Papert Professor of Learning Research and head of the Lifelong Kindergarten group at the MIT Media Lab, will be here on Oct 26th! Mitch’s group created Scratch so kids can create their own interactive stories, games, and animations – and share their creations online.” All first time teachers in attendance Sunday will receive a $150 DonorsChoose gift card!
- Thursday, October 30. “An Evening of Code” – Event for Principals with Code.org co-founder Hadi Partovi
- Saturday, December 13. Code.org elementary school level teacher training at PS/MS 282. Registration link to follow.
- Spring 2015. CEC 13 STEM-Theme Calendar Meeting
We’ve listed these events and other coding in schools resources on our Coding in Schools page.